There are multiple treatments used for Merkel cell carcinoma, and treatment is generally based on stage of the disease.
Treatment decisions depend on many issues that are highly variable between patients. It is best to seek at least one consultation from a multi-disciplinary team of physicians with significant MCC experience.
Proper cancer staging is the first step in identifying an appropriate treatment plan. Staging usually involves a body scan and often a sentinel lymph node biopsy. In some cases, surgery alone may suffice, but radiation may also be recommended for initial treatment.
The authoritative source on Merkel cell carcinoma.
January 23, 2024
- What is a Merkel cell?
- What is Merkel cell carcinoma?
- Symptoms & appearance of Merkel cell carcinoma
- Causes of Merkel cell carcinoma
- Surgical excision
- Mohs micrographic surgery
- Radiation therapy
- Complementary & alternative therapies
- Clinical trials
- Adjuvant Avelumab in Merkel Cell Carcinoma Trial
- TRICK-MCC (Triple Immune Checkpoint Inhibition in MCC)